Come Visit Us!

Apply Now

     
The atmosphere — beautiful campus, excellent faculty, and amazing organizations. I love it here! CASNR Student

Visiting Campus

The best way to learn more about the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (CASNR) is to visit campus. UNL has three campuses which are approximately two miles apart: City Campus, East Campus, and Innovation Campus. CASNR is located on UNL's picturesque East Campus.

Students can schedule a campus visit online at least two weeks from the visit date. If you wish to visit sooner or if you have questions, call the Campus Visits Office toll free, 1-800-742-8800 (select Campus Visit option) or directly at 402-472-4887, and someone will assist you. The Visitor's Center is staffed Monday thru Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Karen Francis
To visit East Campus, contact Karen Francis at (402) 472-2942 or kfrancis3@unl.edu.
UNL East Campus Garden
UNL East Campus Garden Tours
Maxwell Arboretum
Maxwell Arboretum Phone Tour Instructions
East Campus Gardens
Additional East Campus Gardens Information
East Campus
Don't miss locations on East Campus
East Campus Visitor's Center

East Campus Visitors Center

You will be attending some of your classes on East Campus — a tree-lined, wide-open campus with a small-college atmosphere. Where faculty know you by name. Where you see friends each time you walk across campus. We would love for you to experience East Campus for yourself by visiting us in our East Campus Visitor's Center. To visit East Campus, contact Karen Francis at (402) 472-2942 or kfrancis3@unl.edu.

EC Visitor Center Hours

M-F 9 am to 5 pm

Beadle Building

Beadle Center

The Beadle Center for Genetics and Biomaterials Research is a center for learning and research. This 140,000 square foot facility continues to maintain the latest in technology for both teaching and research. Located on the Eastern edge of City Campus, the building houses a variety of research and teaching spaces to perform leading studies in exciting arenas in a safe environment. The building houses the Center for Biotechnology, Department of Biochemistry, School of Biological Science, Center for Plant Science Innovation, Redox Biology Center, and Microbiology Undergraduate Program.

Innovation Campus

Innovation Campus

The newest housing for CASNR programs is the Nebraska Innovation Campus. This research campus in a new development just minutes from East Campus and City Campus where partnerships between the University and private sector may be facilitated. At full build capacity, the NIC will be a 2.2 million square foot campus with buildings designed to meet the needs of researchers, scientists, business people and educators who are the forefront of global innovation. In 2015, the NIC became the new home to CASNR’s Food Science and Technology Department.

East Campus Recreation Center

The new East Campus Recreation and Wellness Center is located on the original site of the Activities Building (built in 1926). The Activities Building’s original exterior walls with their beautiful tall archway windows have been incorporated into the rejuvenated design that has added new structures to the west, east, and south. The 57,000 square foot interior received a complete renovation with a brand-new floor plan and modern finishes and amenities.

Rec Center Info

East Campus Historic Buildings

  • Heuermann Clock
    1 of 16
    Heuermann Clock
    The Heuermann Clock, already a bastion of University tradition, was built on East Campus in April 2006. Located just north of the Nebraska East Union, the clock chimes are heard across the entire campus and the four glowing clock faces are visible night and day. Named in memory of alumnus Bernard B. Heuermann of the Class of 1916, the clock primarily was a gift of the Heuermann Family Trust. The original clock on Agricultural Hall was the gift of the Class of 1916 and the Heuermann Clock now serves as the heartbeat of that bygone class symbol for today's students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends.
    Heuermann Clock | Built in 2006
  • Agricultural Communications
    2 of 16
    Agricultural Communications
    Built in 1899 at a cost of $27,500, the former Agricultural Experiment Station is the oldest building on East Campus. Initially it housed laboratories for bacteriology, soils, agricultural chemistry, entomology and botany; horticultural workrooms, a library, an accounting division and a bicycle room. A number of chick feeding trials took place in the basement prior to extensive remodeling in 1960, when the Department of Information moved in. The building now is home to IANR's Communications and Information Technology unit.
    Agricultural Communications | Built in 1899
  • Agricultural Hall
    3 of 16
    Agricultural Hall
    Agricultural Hall, completed in 1905, was built as the headquarters of the University of Nebraska School of Agriculture. Today, the building houses several Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources administrative offices. These include the Vice President's and Vice Chancellor's office, the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, the Extension Division, and the Agricultural Research Division.
    Agricultural Hall | Built in 1905
  • Entomology Hall
    4 of 16
    Entomology Hall
    Long known as Plant Industry and now as Entomology Hall, this building was constructed in 1912 as the fourth large, permanent structure located on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln East Campus Mall. With its completion, the Mall became a balanced, formal space on campus. Designed by Charles E. Chowins, superintendent for construction, the building featured Omaha gray pressed brick, limestone trimmings, a slate roof and reinforced concrete floor - materials nearly identical to those used in Agricultural Hall. The building was named Entomology Hall in late 2007 to reflect its current use as the academic home of the Department of Entomology. Nobel Laureate George Beadle studied in this building when he was an undergraduate and graduate student in agriculture at the University of Nebraska.
    Entomology Hall | Built in 1912
  • Filley Hall
    5 of 16
    Filley Hall

    Today's Filley Hall was constructed in 1916 as Dairy Industry Hall, home to the Department of Dairy Husbandry. Designed by Coolidge and Hodgdon, the "official architects of the university;' Dairy Industry was built of the buff brick used in the early 20th century for all significant buildings on East Campus. It is ornamented with decorative paired eave brackets and an elaborate terra cotta entryway on the west. The eastern wing of this building included a creamery with the adjoining Dairy Store, still a campus fixture.

    Filley Hall | Built in 1916
  • Filley Hall
    5 of 16 Continued...
    Filley Hall

    In 1972 Dairy Industry was renamed H.C. Filley Hall. By then, the building had become home to the Department of Agricultural Economics, having moved there in 1935, and the Department of Food Science and Technology, which had been incorporated out of elements of the Dairy Science Department in 1968. From 1914-1916, the head of Agricultural Economics was Professor H. Clyde Filley, who was a University of Nebraska faculty member from 1911- 1949.

    In 1989, the original east wing of Filley Hall was greatly expanded to provide food science and technology offices and research facilities including the Food Processing Center. The building addition also moved and expanded the UNL Dairy Store. This section now is known as the Food Industry Complex.

    Filley Hall | Built in 1916
  • Forestry Hall
    6 of 16
    Forestry Hall
    Dedicated as the Animal Pathology and Hygiene Building in 1919, Forestry Hall has served as home to a number of programs since it was constructed as part of the university's original Veterinary Complex. Designed in the Craftsman style, it is similar to other buildings constructed on campus at the time, as well as many area homes. The building has had two major renovations, in the 1960s and in 2009. For years the building was called Natural Resources Hall and housed faculty in forestry, fisheries, and wildlife. In late 2007 the-name was changed to Forestry Hall to reflect its current use as home to the Nebraska Forest Service.
    Forestry Hall| Dedicated in 1919
  • Hardin Hall
    7 of 16
    Hardin Hall

    On January 18, 2003, the University of Nebraska Board of Regents approved a plan to completely renovate Hardin Hall to provide faculty, staff, and students in the School of Natural Resources with state-of-the-art laboratories, classrooms, and offices to support the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's teaching, research, and extension education programs in natural resources. This 157,000 square foot facility also serves as the academic home for the UNL Department of Statistics.

    Hardin Hall | Opened in 1961
  • Hardin Hall
    7 of 16 Continued...
    Hardin Hall

    First opened in 1961 as the Nebraska Center for Continuing Education, and renamed in 1994 in honor of Dr. Clifford Hardin, the building was constructed with a W.K. Kellogg Foundation grant and with private donations from the citizens of Nebraska. It provided study facilities, housing, and meal service for thousands and thousands of adult and youth groups who came to the UNL campus for conferences, workshops, and institutes.

    Dr. Clifford Hardin served as Chancellor from 1954 until 1968, when he accepted nomination from President Richard Nixon to serve as the United States Secretary of Agriculture. He served as secretary of agriculture with distinction until 1971. Dr. Hardin's record of service to Nebraskans and the nation has been exemplary.

    Hardin Hall | Opened in 1961
  • International Quilt Study
    8 of 16
    International Quilt Study
    The International Quilt Study Center & Museum was founded in 1997 when native Nebraskans Ardis and Robert James donated their renowned quilt collection to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Through private funds from the University of Nebraska Foundation and a lead gift from the James family, the center opened in its new location at 33rd and Holdrege streets in 2008. The building houses more than 3,000 quilts and enhances the center's mission to collect, preserve, study, exhibit and promote discovery of quilts and quiltmaking traditions from many cultures, countries and times.
    International Quilt Study | Founded in 1997
  • Justin Smith Morrill Homestead
    9 of 16
    Justin Smith Morrill Homestead

    The architect of the Land Grant College Act of 1862 was Justin Smith Morrill, a self- educated legislator with keen interests in architecture and landscape design. The Morrill Act became the most important piece of educational legislation in the 19th century, providing a liberal and practical education of agriculture, engineering, and related fields for the working class and minorities.

    Justin Smith Morrill Homestead | Designed 1848-1853
  • Justin Smith Morrill Homestead
    9 of 16 Continued...
    Justin Smith Morrill Homestead

    Designed in 1848-1853 during a brief retirement from commerce and before entering politics, Morrill's 17-room Gothic Revival cottage is resplendent with elaborate detail. The house's exterior flush board siding is painted the original rosy pink color, Merrill's attempt to imitate the appearance of cut sandstone. Located at Strafford, Vt. and owned by the Morrill family until 1938, the Morrill Homestead of buildings, gardens, and pond was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960 and purchased by the Justin Smith Morrill Foundation in 1961. In 1969, the Homestead was donated to the State of Vermont and opened to the public as a Vermont Historic Site.

    Justin Smith Morrill Homestead | Designed 1848-1853
  • L.W. Chase Hall
    10 of 16
    L.W. Chase Hall

    The Agricultural Engineering Building on East Campus was designed by L.W. Chase. Chase's titles while working in the Department of Agricultural Engineering at the University of Nebraska were "In Charge," 1905-1908; and "Head;' 1909-1919. Chase left the university in 1920 to found the Chase Plow Company.

    Renamed L.W. Chase Hall in 1982, the building was built in 1918 at a cost of $195,000. It houses today's Department of Biological Systems Engineering.

    L.W. Chase Hall | Built in 1918
  • Miller Hall
    11 of 16
    Miller Hall

    Today's Miller Hall on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln East Campus wasn't always known by that name. Built in 1908 as the College of Agriculture's long-awaited Livestock Judging Pavilion, it was rebuilt after a 1931 fire.

    The red brick building became Miller Hall in 1972 when it was named for Mr. and Mrs. Leon Miller, whose Red Willow County farm was described as "one of the best in the country, a tribute to the value of agriculture research and knowledge and to the superior managerial ability of the two pioneers."

    Miller Hall | Built in 1908
  • Old Dairy Barn
    12 of 16
    Old Dairy Barn

    The original Dairy Barn was built in 1903 at 38th and Holdrege streets, south of what now is C.Y. Thompson Library. It was a large frame structure housing the herd developed by the Dairy Science faculty, staff, and students, and had a silo, judging area, water, sewers, and feed carrier.

    An overloaded haymow caused the Dairy Barn to collapse in March 1925, shortly before the milking crew arrived. Several cows were injured and three died. The barn's replacement was a new dairy complex built in 1926 at 39th Street and Center Drive. It was remodeled in 1952 and razed in 1971.

    The current UNL Dairy was constructed in 1968 and is located at the Agricultural Research and Development Center near Mead, Nebraska.

    Old Dairy Barn | Built in 1903
  • The Original Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory
    13 of 16
    The Original Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory
    The first testing under Nebraska's 1919 Tractor Test law took place in what now is the Lester F. Larsen Tractor Test and Power Museum, a part of the Department of Biological Systems Engineering on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln East Campus. Larsen, the lab's chief engineer from 1946-1975, was instrumental in the effort to begin collecting the first of about 40 historic tractors and other farming equipment. It is the only known U.S. public museum dedicated to showcasing tractors historically significant or featuring technological breakthroughs. The building stands near the modern Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory, the only one in the Western Hemisphere approved by the U.S. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. The original building was declared a historic landmark by what is now the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, and dedicated as a museum in 1980.
    The Original Nebraska Tractor Test Laboratory | Dedicated as a museum in 1980
  • The Porch
    14 of 16
    The Porch

    The Porch was part of a 12-room white frame boardinghouse, home to College of Agriculture students and University of Nebraska Farm Superintendent S.W. 'Dad' Perin and family. The house, with its inviting front porch, was the focal point of the farm campus, now the East Campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

    A replica of the Porch was dedicated in 1996 and is located immediately south of the East Campus Mall.

    The Porch | Dedicated in 1996
  • Agriculture Hall Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture
    15 of 16
    Agriculture Hall Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture

    The Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture started out as an agriculture high school serving rural Nebraskans. The school's Agriculture Hall was completed in 1913 and welcomed its first students that fall. It functioned as a high school for 55 years.

    During the early 1960s the Nebraska Legislature confirmed the need for a technically educated work force to meet the state's needs in agriculture and agribusiness. The University of Nebraska School of Technical Agriculture was established in 1965, and shared space with the high school until the final high school class graduated in 1968. The school became the Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture in 1988, and is an academic component of the University of Nebraska system, evolving to meet the needs of Nebraska's changing agriculture industry.

    Agriculture Hall Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture | Built in 1913
  • Dean's House Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture
    16 of 16
    Dean's House Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture
    The Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture (NCTA), originally an agricultural high school, traditionally has provided on-campus housing for the superintendent or dean. The dean's house, completed in 1915, is located on the NCTA campus just west of Agriculture Hall and south of the women's dormitory. As of 2006 the house had provided living quarters for 11 of the 12 superintendents or deans of the college.
    Dean's House Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture | Built in 1915